- Bio: I am a cover designer, that in itself is very awesome and very difficult. Bringing someone’s story to life in a way is challenging and super fun!
- Thanks for taking part in the interview! Can you please tell us a bit about what you do? – I am a cover designer, so I create the book covers for authors books. I also can create swag items such as bookmarks, banners etc…
- Where did you learn such a skill to do this type of stuff? (Self-taught / college / a degree etc.) – I did go to college for ECommerce web design and had a few classes in photoshop, illustrator, flash etc… but mostly, I am self taught.
- How long have you been doing it for? – Gosh, been designing little graphics since high school, so like since ’99? I graduated in 2001
- What’s the highlight of what you do? – Making authors happy. I love creating a cover that really fits the stories authors read and love it when they fall in love. It’s the piece of the puzzle and I love making that piece fit!
- What’s the downfall in what you do? – Sometimes I make something that I really personally LOVE, but the author or publisher DO NOT love it.
- Do you have any tips or advice for anyone wanting to get started with this sort of creative role? – Practice Practice Practice!
- Can you tell us what a day in the life is like in respect of this role? – I wear multiple hats these days, so this is one of the hats I wear. Just need to have time dedicated to create covers and mock ups. Can’t throw a cover together in 20 mins, anyone can do that. You need time to thoughtfully plan every part.
- If you provide services, can you please advise where the best place to contact you is, and what services you offer? email – firstname.lastname@example.org or FB Redbird Designs or my personal Ashley Byland