Skye Turner is an avid reader and an editor turned Amazon Bestselling Author of Sexy Adult Romance. She attended SoutheasternLouisianaUniversity and LouisianaStateUniversity where she majored in Mass Communications, centering her studies in Journalism. Unfortunately, life intervened and she never finished her studies. She lives in small town Louisiana with her husband, two children, and five fur babies. When she’s not chained to her laptop pounding out sexy stories she can usually be found playing ‘Supermom’, reading, gardening (playing in the dirt), listening to music and dancing like a fool, cooking, baking, crafting, or catching up on her family oriented blog. She loves to incorporate pieces of Louisiana into her writing.
1. What got you into writing? I’ve always written just for me. Short stories and poems, but I’ve been an Indie editor for a few years now, so about eight months ago I decided to sit down and write my own ideas down.
2. What is a usual writing day like for you? First and foremost, I’m a wife and mother to my husband and I’s two young children. After getting them off to school, I typically sit down and write for a few hours if I feel like it. I don’t force myself to write, but when it’s flowing, I’ve been known to stay on the computer for hours and hours and write as many as ten thousand words in a day.
3. Do you get writers block? If so, how do you overcome it? Some days, I don’t feel like writing, so I don’t write. If it’s not flowing, I do something else. Then, when I feel like I have something to say, I sit down and write again.
4. Are you a plotter/planner when it comes to writing a story? Not really. I do make a general outline, but my stories are constantly evolving, so I just roll with it. I jot important points into my notebook for reference reasons, but no for the most part, I just roll with it.
5. What was the publishing process like for you, & any advice to aspiring authors? I’m an Indie author, so I do everything myself. I had no idea that so much was involved, but I’m an old pro now. (Not really. I just act like I am. LOL) The most important piece of advice I can give anyone who wants to jump into this pool is do your research. Spend the money. If you invest all of the time and energy into putting something out, then invest the funds too. Take a risk. Believe in yourself. Have a professional cover made, but research them! Have your manuscript edited. Research your editor too. Have it formatted correctly. Again, research. If you’re going to do it, do it right. Readers can be cruel and with the huge selection of books out there, invest in yourself. If you don’t believe in you, why should anyone else?!
6. What has been your highlight since becoming a published author? Having people send me messages, Tweets, etc. The feedback from people who have read and loved my books is amazing. It’s the best feeling knowing that something you put yourself into and worked so hard on is touching a chord with your readers.
7. Can you share a little of your most recent book with us? And any other books of yours, if you wish. My 3rd book, Alluring Ties, will be out in three weeks, on March 7th. It’s a companion novella to my Bayou Stix Series. The novella is about two (really three) supporting characters from my books that I absolutely fell in love with. Readers fell in love with them as well and demanded more about them. It was by far, my hardest book to write. I expanded on three characters that I never really intended to expand on and cover seven years of their lives in only thirteen chapters. It’s a very different book and was pretty emotional for me to write. It is not recommended to be read as a standalone.
8. Apart from writing, what do you do in your spare time? I’m a full time wife and mommy. My husband is amazing and our children are 6 and 4.5, so they are very demanding. We do a lot of family things with them and pride ourselves on quality time. We’re a fun family. Family is very important to us, so we spend as much time with the people we love as we can. Music and reading are also on my favorites list. The occasional date night is rare and highly coveted.
9. If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be & why? No one. I love my life and while it’s crazy and chaotic and stressful, it’s mine, and I don’t want to be anywhere else.
10. Do you have anything that you want to say to your readers? Just thank you for taking this crazy ride with me. It’s been a whirlwind and I sincerely appreciate each and every person who’s taken a chance on me and fallen in love with my books. I have BIG plans for the future and I want all of you to join me on the roller coaster. Facebook: www.facebook.com/SkyeTurnerAuthor